Recreational Trails Program
The Recreational Trails Program (RTP) is a Federal reimbursement program funded through section 1109 of the FAST Act, as codified under Title 23 of the United States Code, sections 133(b)(6), 133(h)(5)(C), and 206. In New Mexico, RTP is administered by NMDOT.
The RTP provides funding authority to the states to develop and maintain recreational trails and trail related facilities for both non-motorized and motorized recreational trail uses. Examples of trail uses include hiking, bicycling, in-line skating, equestrian use, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, off-road motorcycling, all-terrain vehicle riding, four-wheel driving, or using other off-road motorized vehicles.
The goals of the NM RTP are to:
- Improve the health and quality of life for New Mexicans by increasing trail-related recreational opportunities within and around communities.
- Provide funding through a transparent, accessible program to communities and government agencies for the development of recreational trails and related educational programs for a variety of users.
- Fund projects that result in “on-the-ground” benefits to users.
- Meet the federal requirements regarding expenditure of 30% of funds on non-motorized trails, 30% on motorized trails and 40% on diversified trails.
FFY2018 and FFY2019 Call for Projects
The Santa Fe MPO is soliciting applications for projects to be considered for Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2018 and 2019 Recreational Trails Program (RTP) Funding within the MPO Planning Area (See the Planning Area Map linked below). All project applications that are located within the MPO Planning Area must be submitted to the Santa Fe MPO. The May 12 Staff Memorandum and supporting documents and forms for this process are available for download below.
Documents to Download:
- Call for Projects RTP 2018 2019 – Staff Memo 05-12-16 Final [pdf file]
- Santa Fe MPO Planning Area Map [pdf file]
- FFY18-19_TAP-RTP_Guide[pdf file]
- SFMPO-Project-Feasibility-Form-10-20-14[word doc]
- TAP-RTP_Application[word doc]
- NMDOT PIF (Aug 2014 FINAL) [word doc]
- TAP-RTP_Sample_Resolution[word doc]
- Presentation to MPO Technical Coordinating Committee 10/27/14 [pdf file]
- Presentation to the 11/03/14 RTP Workshop [pdf file]
- FHWA Recreational Trails Program Guidance
- NMDOT 2014 Tribal/Local Public Agency Handbook
- FHWA Buy America Q and A for Federal-aid Projects
- Forest Service Trails Accessibility Guidelines (FSTAG)
- Accessibility Guidebook on Outdoor Recreation and Trails
- Final Guide for Outdoor Developed Areas
For more information on the TAP Contact:
Erick Aune, MPO Transportation Planner
Page Last Updated – May 12, 2016